Become a volunteer
2RPH provides a radio reading service for people who cannot see, handle or understand printed material. We currently have 4.45 million listeners annually. Join more than 200 amazing people from every walk of life.
We offer volunteering positions as they become available in the following categories:
- Reading newspapers 'live' to air
- Announcing – at RPH the Announcer is also the producer of the live‐to‐air program*
- Panel operating/producing pre‐recorded programs and digital file transfer (computerised) *
- Reading and recording books and magazines for later broadcast*
- Rostering and Administration
- Reception, including handling telephone enquiries and a variety of office tasks
- Program advisory roles
- Periodic interviewing of community and digital file transfer.
* A free training program is provided for these categories. And on‐going training is also provided.
Becoming a live-to-air Reader
If you are interested in volunteering as a reader of newspapers, magazine and/or books 'live' to air, you will need to first undertake an audition.
An audition is a test of voice, ability to read with accuracy (without any dramatics), without comment of any kind at all, and capacity to convey the printed word in a meaningful way. It consists of material selected by the station, including recent news stories selected from Sydney newspapers, an 'at‐sight' item and a list of words, including many names of people and places currently in the news.
A number of people are invited to each audition, which begins with a brief introduction and a full explanation of what's expected from your audition. Auditions are held about every two months. Each prospective volunteer is taken to a studio where their audition is recorded. The auditions are then heard by a small selection panel.
Practice helps. So, before you attend the audition, spend a few hours a day reading from a newspaper, out loud. You'll find it takes concentration – it's not as easy as it sounds!
What do we ask of our volunteers?
We seek to make 2RPH a friendly, co-operative environment, which means we hope to recruit volunteers who are dedicated, passionate about radio, know who 2RPH is and can commit to regular shifts. Before taking the steps to become a volunteer with us, please review the below criteria to see if this opportunity is for you.
- Able to give a commitment of at least two years;
- Shifts can be regular (depending on vacancies) or casual, however, there is an expectation that volunteer Readers will be available on a regular basis to fill vacant shifts. We also want to provide a high quality service where listeners become familiar with your voice, and we are able to maintain consistency with articulation and tone;
- Able to be a part of a friendly, collaborative, open and honest community of individuals who share a love for the news and language, and who enjoy giving back to the community.
Audition dates for 2018
- October 19
Please note: All auditions will be held on a Friday during business hours.
Please only audition if you can commit to regular volunteering shifts, even on a casual basis. There are Reading shifts every day, including weekends.
If you are interested in booking a time for your audition, please email email@example.com