Become a volunteer
2RPH provides a radio reading service for people who cannot see, handle or understand printed material. We currently have 4.45 million listeners annually. Join more than 200 amazing people from every walk of life.
We offer volunteering positions as they become available in the following categories:
- Reading newspapers 'live' to air
- Announcing – at RPH the Announcer is also the producer of the live‐to‐air program*
- Panel operating/producing pre‐recorded programs and digital file transfer (computerised) *
- Reading and recording books and magazines for later broadcast*
- Rostering and Administration
- Reception, including handling telephone enquiries and a variety of office tasks
- Program advisory roles
- Periodic interviewing of community and digital file transfer.
* A free training program is provided for these categories. And on‐going training is also provided.
Becoming a live-to-air Reader
If you are interested in volunteering as a reader of newspapers, magazine and/or books 'live' to air, you will need to first undertake an audition.
An audition is a test of voice, ability to read with accuracy (without any dramatics), without comment of any kind at all, and capacity to convey the printed word in a meaningful way. It consists of material selected by the station, including recent news stories selected from Sydney newspapers, an 'at‐sight' item and a list of words, including many names of people and places currently in the news.
A number of people are invited to each audition, which begins with a brief introduction and a full explanation of what's expected from your audition. Auditions are held about every two months. Each prospective volunteer is taken to a studio where their audition is recorded. The auditions are then heard by a small selection panel.
Practice helps. So, before you attend the audition, spend a few hours a day reading from a newspaper, out loud. You'll find it takes concentration – it's not as easy as it sounds!
Volunteer Needed: Rostering Team Member
We are looking for a volunteer with administration experience to join our lovely Rostering team. The purpose of this voluntary position is to ensure all shifts for both Announcers and Readers are filled and profiles are up to date for the 2RPH radio reading service.We are looking for 2 (two) volunteers to join the team, ideally on a long-term basis of 12 months. We have a shift available for a Friday 10am-3pm and on weekends.
- Phone, email and text volunteers to fill vacant shifts.
- Maintain an up-to-date profile on each volunteer, including contact details, preferred shifts and availability.
- Send confirmation emails the day before to those volunteers who are filling in on a shift for the following day.
- Keep the volunteers' excel document and contact details up to date.
- Keep the excel roster document completed and up to date.
If you're interested or would like further information, please email Danielle on email@example.com.
What do we ask of our volunteers?
We ask volunteers to apply themselves to their tasks in the same way they would if they were to be paid for their services. That is: we ask you to arrive at the stipulated time for the shift (which is always in advance of the on‐air time) to allow for preparation and for any last‐minute briefing that may be necessary.
We seek to have a friendly, co‐operative environment – it makes for better broadcasting. We ask that in addition to the 'no comment' rule, you do not make personal calls of any kind on air.
There are no further auditions scheduled for 2017. If you are interested in auditioning, please watch this space in January 2018 for a schedule of upcoming audition dates.